A former champion stands out amongst the field of 11 chefs set to compete in the 2016 Canadian Culinary Championships.
The event is set for the weekend of Feb. 5 and 6 at the Delta Grand Okanagan Resort and Okanagan College.
Marc Lepine, owner and chef at Atelier Restaurant in Ottawa returns to the competition after being crowned the 2012 Canadian Culinary champion.
In 2012, Lepine won with Quadra Island Scallops with potatoes, Truffle, Chanterelle, Chorizo and Lemon - paired with Hidden Bench 2009 Estate Chardonnay from the Beamsville Bench in Niagara.
Lepine will be joined by 10 other chefs, all of whom gained entry by winning regional competitions.
The entry list includes:
- BC – Alex Chen – Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar, Vancouver
- Calgary- Matthew Batey – The Nash Restaurant & Off Cut Bar
- Edmonton - Jan Trittenbach – Solstice Seasonal Cuisine
- Regina – Jonathan Thauberger – Crave Kitchen + Wine Bar
- Saskatoon – Darren Craddock – Riverside Country Club
- Winnipeg- Norm Pastorin – The Cornerstone Bar & Restaurant
- Toronto – Stuart Cameron – Byblos
- Ottawa – Marc Lepine - Atelier
- Montreal – Guillaume Cantin – Les 400 Coups
- St. John's – Roger Andrews – Relish Gourmet Burgers
- Halifax – Martin Ruiz Salvador – Fleur de Sel, Lunenberg
“We are so proud to bring together a star-studded cast of chefs, athletes, and performers to celebrate the spirit of achievement,” said Stephen Leckie, CEO and Co-Founder of Gold Medal Plates and the Canadian Culinary Championships. “All three competitions over two days in February to place Canada’s top chefs on the podium, are wildly exciting. To top it all off, our Kelowna audience gets to meet the competing chefs, each with a fire in their belly, and be entertained by some of our country’s best musical talents"
The money raised through the event goes to support Canadian Olympic Athletes.
Nearly $11 million dollars has been raised to date.