Clubhouse fire at golf course
The pro shop at Michaelbrook Golf Course was damaged by an early morning fire.
At 3:40 a.m. Saturday the Kelowna Fire Department responded to the fire at the golf course at 1085 Lexington Drive.
When crews arrived they could see fire burning on the wood siding and overhanging deck of the main building. The flames had extended into the pro shop through the window, that had broken from the heat of the fire.
"The fire inspector hasn't come yet - but they thought it was a cigarette," said Betty Dewar, partner with owner Tom Stanbrook. "It started in a planter, must have had some peat moss in it."
A sprinkler in the pro shop was activated preventing the fire from spreading further into the building. There is significant smoke and water damage to the pro shop and a strong smoke smell in the upstairs offices.
"Just smoke and water damage to this end of the building (the pro shop)," said Stanbrook. As for the merchandise inside, "that will need to be replaced."
The main fire damage was confined to the siding, windows, and overhanging deck. A restoration company was arriving on scene when the Fire Department was leaving.
The Kelowna Fire Department responded with five vehicles and 15 personnel. The cause of the fire is not considered to be suspicious.
Michaelbrook is open for business, they have two big groups scheduled to play today and they won't be stopped by the cleanup crew. Several players were teeing off at 8 a.m. as the restoration company cleaned up.
Point of sale systems were being set up outside the restaurant and Stanbrook said they will be able to work through the damage with minimum disruption to customers.
Send photos and video to [email protected]
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Kelowna News
- Parachutist hits houseVernon / N. Okanagan - 6:47 pm
- Boonstock liquor decision finalPenticton / S. Okanagan - 7:00 pm
- Disaster relief from stormKamloops - 6:34 pm
- Movie set burned in firePenticton / S. Okanagan - 6:30 pm
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library