Fire crews in Kelowna responded to an early morning blaze on Badke Road Thursday.
They found flames at the front entrance and smoke coming from the attic of a one-story home upon arrival, just before 3 a.m.
Crews were forced to break down part of the ceiling to gain access to the attic and fight the fire.
All residents were able to make their way out of the house and no injuries were reported.
They were alerted to the fire by the smell and sounds – the smoke alarm had been disabled.
Fire officials believe the probable cause was a careless smoker.
Three engines, a rescue truck, command vehicle and 15 firefighters responded to the call.