Tuesday, October 21st13.0°C
23836
23062

Tower Ranch fire mitigation

The City of Kelowna is looking for a provincial grant to mitigate potential wildfire fuel from Tower Ranch Mountain Park.

The park is on the eastern slopes of the city, just south of Tower Ranch golf course.

A 150 unit Tower Ranch subdivision is planned for the area adjacent to the park, prompting the decision to remove potential wildfire fuels.

"We would like to get in there and do some work to mitigate the fuel and fire hazard by this winter," forest health technician, Andrew Hunsberger told council.

"I completed a wildfire urban interface threat analysis and the rating came out as high, with the addition of the new homes at that site."

Hunsberger described the park as densely treed, but not well used due to the steep slopes in the park.

If approved, provincial funds through the UBCM's Strategic Wildfire Initiative would cover 75 per cent of the fuel mitigation with the City picking up the other 25 per cent.

The City is able to apply for funding up to $400,000 a year for wildfire fuel mitigation.

COMMENTS WELCOME

Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.



Read more Kelowna News




Recent Trending





20008




FEATURED Property
21105781519 Klein Road West Kelowna Estates
$495,000
more details
image2image2image2
Click here to feature your property
Please wait... loading



21239




21370

Kelowna SPCA Featured Pet

Kiara
Kiara Kelowna SPCA >




23708



23751



Okanagan Quick Links City of Kelowna
Airport Arrivals
Airport Departures
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Transit
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna
Central Okanagan
Regional District

District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
Interior Health
UBC Okanagan
Okanagan College
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library


Kelowna City Council Audio
Audio
October 6, 2014 @ 1:30 pm
Live broadcasts, archives, schedule >


Member of BC Press Council
23037