Health care protests
The Hospital Employees’ Union is joining with other health care advocates at rallies at the offices of six BC Conservative MPs today, as part of a national day of action highlighting major reductions in federal health care transfers.
Rallies are taking place in:
- Kelowna - Rally at MP Ron Cannan’s office, Capri Mall, 114-1835 Gordon Dr., Kelowna, 12 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Princeton - Community rally, Veterans Square, Bridge St. and Vermilion Ave., Princeton, 12 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Kamloops - Rally at MP Cathy McLeod’s office, 979 Victoria St., Kamloops, 3:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
“On March 31, the ten-year-old national Health Accord expires and when it does billions of dollars in federal medicare funding will be lost,” said HEU secretary-business manager Bonnie Pearson at a morning rally in front of Vancouver South Conservative MP Wai Young’s office.
“For BC, beginning in April, over a quarter billion dollars will be slashed from federal health care transfers to our province over the next twelve months.”
“These extreme cuts will only continue to undermine our already struggling public health care system here in BC,” said Pearson.
“Given the economic challenges facing BC, Premier Clark should be leading the charge against the end of the Health Accord,” added Pearson. “After all, when her government was re-elected nearly a year ago, the Premier promised to balance the budget, while also committing to not making cuts to health care.
“These will be difficult promises for the Premier to keep, if Ottawa carries through with these devastating reductions to health care transfers.”
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Kelowna News
- Crime and the newsVernon / N. Okanagan - 4:30 pm
- Tentative sale of Ric's GrillKelowna - 4:00 pm
- MV Okanagan gets hung upVernon / N. Okanagan - 3:00 pm
- Cracked window forces landingKelowna - 12:45 pm
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library