Friday, October 31st9.4°C
21625
23671

House fire in Rutland

4:30 p.m. update:

No one was injured after a fire in Rutland Thursday afternoon, but there is extensive damage to the home on McKenzie Rd.

According to Fire Chief Dale Calhoun the fire started in the basement.

"It started in around the hobby area and that has a bunch batteries in there, so we are kind of figuring that is what started the fire. Some batteries that were charging in there."

Calhoun says there is extensive damage downstairs as well as smoke damage all throughout the house.

A mother and her son, who are in town visiting her elderly father, were home at the time of the blaze.

They were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm going off.

"We just heard the alarm go off and my dad has alarms all over the house so we figured he was maybe testing." explained Tammie O'Rielly. "I went out, and I went down into his workshop and he builds radio controlled aircraft and there were flames everywhere."

According to her son some frantic moments followed. 

"At the time I was just working on my computer when I heard the fire alarm going off and I wasn’t totally sure what was happening. My mum was downstairs in her bedroom and then she went to check...my grandpa works on radio controlled airplanes as a hobby... and I guess that room was just flames so she was screaming at me to call 9-1-1 and get myself and the dogs out of the house which I did."

The mother was treated on scene for smoke inhalation.

The grandfather, who owns the home, was not at home when the fire broke out.


3:30 p.m.: Fire crews were called to a house fire in the 800 block of McKenzie Rd. Thursday afternoon.

The fire was reported around 3 p.m., responding crews reported a lot of smoke coming from the home, but they were quickly able to get the fire under control.

Our reporter at the scene says one woman was being looked at by BC Ambulance for possibly smoke inhalation. 

More details to come.

- With files form Ragnar Haagen

COMMENTS WELCOME

Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.



Read more Kelowna News

21350


Recent Trending





20008




FEATURED Property
2115253#410 - 770 Rutland Road
2 bedrooms 2 baths
$225,000
more details
image2image2image2
Click here to feature your property
Please wait... loading










Kelowna SPCA Featured Pet

Nico
Nico Kelowna SPCA >




20327



23902



Okanagan Quick Links City of Kelowna
Airport Arrivals
Airport Departures
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Transit
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna
Central Okanagan
Regional District

District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
Interior Health
UBC Okanagan
Okanagan College
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library


Kelowna City Council Audio
Audio
October 27, 2014 @ 1:30 pm
Live broadcasts, archives, schedule >


Member of BC Press Council
23199