Hot ashes cause small fire
What first sounded like a call for all hands on deck turned out to be nothing more than a minor structure fire in a rural part of Kelowna Saturday morning.
The call came in just before 11 a.m. stating that a shed was on fire on Todd Road. Over a dozen members of the Kelowna Fire Department, including three engines and a command vehicle rushed to the scene.
Upon arrival they found a neighbour on the roof of the structure applying water, and the owners trying to retrieve objects from inside the shed.
Firefighters gained access to the roof and completed the extinguishing of the fire. There was minor damage to the shed and some water damage to the inside.
The owner of the property told firefighters that he had cleaned out his wood stove in the morning and put the ashes (which he believed were cold) into a garbage can outside the building.
Unfortunately that was not the case and that’s where the fire started.
No one was injured, but the Kelowna Fire Department is taking this opportunity to remind any residents using wood burning appliances to take care when disposing of their ashes.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Kelowna News
- Flooding washes out roads in Montana World
- Lost snowmobiler was full of lifeVernon / N. Okanagan
- Buskers festival remains on radarKelowna
- Harvesting rain water in the OkanaganPenticton / S. Okanagan
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library