Bankruptcy offence nets Kelowna man
The RCMP Federal Serious and Organized Crime Section, Kelowna, in collaboration with the Western Region Special Investigation Unit of the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy (OSB), have charged a Kelowna man with offences under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (BIA).
Victor Camille Lebouthillier, 54, has been charged with offences contrary to the BIA. It is alleged that Lebouthillier, while an un-discharged bankrupt, had committed four BIA offences, including;
- Engaging in a trade or business without disclosing that he was an un-discharged bankrupt.
- Failing to inform the Trustee of a material change in his financial situation.
- Failing to inform the Trustee of his becoming a Director and Officer and the controller of assets of a company.
- Making a fraudulent disposition of a bankrupt's property.
"The Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act requires people that have declared bankruptcy to inform business partners about their financial status," explains Cpl. Frank Lenarcic.
"The need for disclosure is to protect potential business partners from financial risk and to help maintain Canada's economic financial integrity."
Lebouthillier is scheduled to make his first court appearance at the Kelowna Law Courts on March 4, 2014.
The RCMP and the OSB Special Investigation Units will continue to combine their efforts to investigate allegations of wrong doing related to bankruptcy and insolvency matters in order to protect the integrity of the insolvency system in Canada.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Kelowna News
- All candidates forum comingKelowna - 8:57 pm
- Truck thief quickly nabbedPenticton / S. Okanagan - 7:11 pm
- Bobbitt hearing adjournedPenticton / S. Okanagan - 7:08 pm
- Development builds protestKelowna - 4:52 pm
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library