Coast Capri laundry room fire
It's business as usual at The Coast Capri Hotel after it was evacuated for a short time Wednesday morning because of a small fire in the laundry room.
Kelowna Fire Department Team Captain Steve Wallick said it was a minor incident.
“Some lint behind the dryer got hot enough to smolder, causing a little bit of smoke which one of the staff noticed and reported,” explained Wallick.
A young woman, who was working at the hotel, was checked over by paramedics and taken away by ambulance as a precaution.
Her friend, and fellow employee, told reporters the woman was in the laundry room at the time and put out the fire herself with an extinguisher. She unfortunately inhaled some of the chemicals from the fire extinguisher and needed medical attention.
Wallick confirmed that the fire was out before his crews arrived.
Fans were set up by fire crews to ventilate the building.
Wallick says it was just smoldering, it had no open flame and was isolated to the the laundry area on the main floor at the back of the building.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Kelowna News
- Snowbirds hit townKelowna - 10:25 am
- Pilot out of hospitalVernon / N. Okanagan - 1:20 pm
- Highway 97 reopenedVernon / N. Okanagan - 8:38 pm
- Wildfire doused quicklyCentral Okanagan - 4:28 pm
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library