Hard luck scam targets kind hearted
A version of the hard luck scam has returned to Kelowna.
RCMP are warning the public about the door-to-door scam after receiving several reports of the scam being perpetrated in the Pandosy and Sutherland areas.
According to police the scammer comes to your home, often pretending to be a neighbour with a sad tale about how he needs a bit of cash.
The scammer may promise to pay the money back 'shortly,' but typically you will never see them, or your money, again.
Cst. Kris Clark says in one instance, the suspect was given a bank card and corresponding Personal Identification Number (PIN) for the purpose of withdrawing $40.
The suspect in each case is described as:
- Caucasian Male
- 5'7" with a stocky build
- Appears to be in his mid 30s
- Brown hair
To prevent being scammed, Clark suggests:
- Don't feel pressured and give money to someone you don't know
- Keep your bank cards in a safe place and never lend them to anyone. Conducting a Automatic Banking Machine or debit transaction requires both your card and your PIN
- Never disclose your PIN to anyone. No one from a legitimate financial institution, police service or business should ask for your PIN
- Call police if you believe it is a scam.
Anyone with information concerning the suspect in this case is asked to call Cst. McLean at the Kelowna RCMP Detachment at 250-762-3300. Or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Kelowna News
- Highway 1 reopened near GoldenBC
- Koe dominates Brier finalKamloops
- Two Okanagan arenas go for $100kCentral Okanagan
- New command for Kelowna DragoonsKelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library