Saturday, April 19th8.0°C
21450
20957

Old rental work shop survives fire

Kelowna fire crews rushed to the scene of a small building fire on Leathead Road in Rutland Monday at around 12:30 p.m.

Upon arrival, black smoke was seen coming from a small one storey older dilapidated workshop.

Fire Captain Dave Leimert says it is suspected the fire began from a wood stove in the building that was too close to an ignition source.

The occupant of the shop tried to put out the fire with two different fire extinguishers, but the man couldn't extinguish it and called for help.

When leaving the building the occupant shut the door behind him, which Leimert says did a lot to quell the fire and cut off the oxygen to it. By the time fire crews arrived it was contained and easy to put out.

Leimert says given the age and condition of the building he is surprised it is still standing.

There were no injuries and the fire is under investigation.



Read more Kelowna News

21502


Recent Trending





20002




FEATURED Property
1816855#4 12877 Kidston Road
10055634 bedrooms
$950,000
more details
image2image2image2
Click here to feature your property
Please wait... loading



21688




20570

Kelowna SPCA Featured Pet

Ewok
Ewok Kelowna SPCA >




20327






20956



Okanagan Quick Links City of Kelowna
Airport Arrivals
Airport Departures
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Transit
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna
Central Okanagan
Regional District

District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
Interior Health
UBC Okanagan
Okanagan College
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library


Kelowna City Council Audio
Audio
April 14, 2014 @ 1:30 pm
Live broadcasts, archives, schedule >


Member of BC Press Council
21689