You should soon be able to use your wireless device without interruption in several Kelowna city facilities, parks and open spaces.
City Council will be asked Monday to enter into a five-year contract with Shaw Cablesystems Ltd. to provide the service.
There would be no cost to the city, taxpayer or the end user.
Information Services Manager, Rob Entwistle, says Shaw approached the city with a proposal to provide Wi-Fi access to various city locations.
Entwistle says the city would provide space for Shaw infrastructure while Shaw would cover all electrical costs.
"Wi-Fi hotspots would be located at specific sites including city buildings, parks, city centres and sportfields," says Entwistle.
Specific location details will be worked out as part of the contract process.
Entwistle says the city has contemplated setting up such a system in the past, but backed away due to the cost of providing the service.
He adds the service will not be exclusive to Shaw customers only, however, customers with other internet carriers would face restrictions as to how much data they could view at any one time.
Guests would be limited to 250MB per month.
Shaw would also be responsible for installing signage at each location indicating a hotspot.
The initial proposal put forth by Shaw includes coverage in the following locations:
- throughout the Bernard Ave. core
- Mission Town Centre/Pandosy Village
- Spall Plaza and Abbott Street pedestrian corridor
- plus five community and recreation centres, Ben Lee and City Park waterparks, Memorial and Rutland arenas, the Apple Bowl
- more than a dozen parks, volleyball courts as well as baseball, softball and soccer fields
Read more Kelowna News
- Road project jumps by $1.1MKelowna - 12:17 pm
- Murder details brings family to tearsKamloops - 12:10 pm
- Ex cop charged with sex assaulting boysKamloops - 11:47 am
- Accused attacker still hospitalizedPenticton / S. Okanagan - 11:35 am
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library