Big White job opportunities
Oct 29, 2013 / 6:43 am
Some of them have never seen a Canadian winter, while others have never even hit the slopes, but they are all lining up for the same reason.
It's the annual Big White job fair.
Over 20 managers from the resort will conduct more than 1000 interviews during the two day event, and hire around 400 staff.
"The resort hires everything from lift operators, custodians, front desk attendants, servers, bartenders, as we have about 800 seasonal staff workers," explains Emily Oxley, the employee experience coordinator for Big White.
Many candidates said it will be their first season at Big White. For others it is there first time in Canada, one of them said she will be seeing snow for the first time.
"It seems like a nice place to be I think, it seems to have everything really, everything I am looking for in a ski resort," says one man from England.
While another candidate says, "It looks like a really friendly mountain there is accommodation to stay on the mountain and it looks like it would be a fun place to work."
Employees come from all over the world:
- 40 per cent from Australia
- 21 per cent from here in the Okanagan Valley
- 10 per cent from the rest of Canada
- The remaining 20 per cent came from New Zealand, Great Britain, USA, Chile, Brazil, Mexico, India, Japan, Switzerland, Germany and Italy.
Beyond enjoying fresh 'pow' while working at the hill there are some other perks that come with being employed at the peak.
Benefits for staff include a complimentary ski pass, discounts on: accommodation, food and beverage, outdoor clothing and hard goods, and lift tickets for other ski resorts in British Columbia and Alberta.
For those who missed Monday's scheduled interviews, candidates can attend the drop in sessions between 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Tuesday Oct. 29 at the Best Western convention centre.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Budget will cost you additional $45 Dec 10
- Cemetery eyes cost of living increases Dec 10
- Improvements to Centennial Hall, park Dec 10
- All aboard the Santa Sleigh Bus Dec 9
- FortisBC offers Union binding arbitration Dec 9
- Glenmore food drive tonight Dec 9
- Garage fire quickly knocked down Dec 9
- Thrift store celebrates 10 years strong Dec 9
- Big White Sweater Ball Dec 9
- Christmas display going up at Kerry Park Dec 9