Rotary Centre for the Arts evacuated
Oct 19, 2013 / 12:03 pm
When Cher Ewing showed up to the Rotary Centre for the Arts to work on sets for the upcoming production of Cinderella and the Silver Twig, she noticed something out of the ordinary.
“I came in to open the set shop and there was a heavy duty smell of rotten eggs,” she said. “I have a healthy fear of gas so my immediate reaction was to get everybody out and call the fire department.”
Around thirty people were in the building at the time and gathered on the west side of the building while fire crews and Fortis combed the area using sensors and gas detection devices.
James Long was at rehearsal for the Okanagan Children’s Theatre, a volunteer driven, non-profit organization designed to involve children in the production of theatre.
“We were told that someone smelled gas and they asked us all to leave until Fortis could check it out,” said James. “We’ve been out here about a half hour.”
“We originally thought we could smell a faint odor of gas,” said Kelowna Fire Department Captain Tim Hill, “but we’ve been through it with our detectors and got no reading. Now we’re just waiting for Fortis to come and run through with their meter.”
Although no leak was found, Captain Hill says Cher and the others did the right thing by evacuating the building first and then calling the authorities.
“Any time somebody smells that rotten egg smell it’s best to evacuate the area and call us.”
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Union sends final package to FortisBC Dec 12
- Bait sleds hidden around the interior Dec 11
- Christmas display going up at Kerry Park Dec 11
- Fire destroys mobile home Dec 11
- Prolific offender in custody Dec 11
- Harvey rollover shuts down traffic at Ellis Dec 10
- Hockey Night in Canada's new tune? Dec 10
- Budget will cost you additional $45 Dec 10
- Cemetery eyes cost of living increases Dec 10
- Improvements to Centennial Hall, park Dec 10