Home destroyed by fire
Oct 19, 2013 / 9:30 am
9:30 a.m. update: A house fire that destroyed a two storey home on Garner Rd. and forced a family of five and their dog to seek shelter with Emergency Social Services Friday night, was most likely caused by a barbecue, according to fire officials.
The fire broke out at approximately 10 p.m. and three engines, one Rescue Unit, one Command Unit, a bush truck and 16 firefighters prevented the fire from spreading to adjacent buildings but were unable to save the house.
One male and his dog were home when the fire broke out, but were able to escape unharmed.
The cause of the massive blaze, which completely destroyed the home in under 30 minutes, is believed to have been a barbecue that was in use when the fire was first discovered.
A two storey home was destroyed by fire Friday night.
The home was fully engulfed when crews arrived at the Garner Road property.
There are no reports of any injuries. A single occupant was home at the time of the fire, but the man was able to get out safely.
Neighbours say several people live in the home, but the others were not there at the time of the fire.
The blaze could be seen for several kilometres.
Power lines are reported down in the area and that may be affecting service to others.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Christmas display going up at Kerry Park Dec 11
- Fire destroys mobile home Dec 11
- Prolific offender in custody Dec 11
- Harvey rollover shuts down traffic at Ellis Dec 10
- Hockey Night in Canada's new tune? Dec 10
- Budget will cost you additional $45 Dec 10
- Cemetery eyes cost of living increases Dec 10
- Improvements to Centennial Hall, park Dec 10
- All aboard the Santa Sleigh Bus Dec 9
- FortisBC offers Union binding arbitration Dec 9