Kelowna meeting leads to deal
Oct 15, 2013 / 12:23 pm
A summit meeting in Kelowna back in June has spawned the next stage of an agreement between BC and Alberta.
BC Premier Christy Clark and Alberta Premier, Alison Redford released a joint statement Tuesday releasing terms of reference to open new energy-export markets.
"BC and Alberta share an understanding on the critical importance of being globally competitive," Clark stated in the joint release.
"We are laying the foundation to work together to reach new markets, create jobs and strengthen both our economies and Canada."
Following a brief face-to-face meeting at the Delta Grand Hotel in Kelowna June 14, the two provincial leaders announced formation of a working group with shared goals of opening new markets, expanding export opportunities, creating jobs and strengthening the economy of both provinces through the development of the oil and gas sector.
"Opening new markets for Alberta's resources across Canada and around the world is job one for my government," says Redford.
"We are making real progress, together, on continued responsible resource development that creates jobs and long-term growth for Alberta, BC and all of Canada."
Terms of reference focus on five key areas:
- Harmonizing marine and land spill response
- Ensuring fair fiscal and economic benefits to both provinces
- Consulting with First Nations
- Exploring resource transportation options
- Increasing public awareness of responsible resource development
Clark and Redford are scheduled to meet again in Vancouver Nov. 5 following Redford's address to the Vancouver Board of Trade.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Budget approval means tax increase Dec 12
- Christmas market, art show and concert Dec 12
- "One Valley, One Water" Dec 12
- Students helping students 4,100km away Dec 12
- Bus light tour - get your tickets Dec 12
- Charged with running over paper carrier Dec 12
- Budget 2014 - day long coverage Dec 12
- Fewer rentals available Dec 12
- Protecting your gifts Dec 12
- Union sends final package to FortisBC Dec 12