BMO's marathon festival weekend
Oct 7, 2013 / 6:14 am
The 19th Annual BMO Okanagan Marathon & Family Festival takes place Thanksgiving Weekend, October 12 & 13 in Kelowna, BC. The event attracts a wide range of participants with a good number of visitors coming from Alberta, the US Northwest and from as far away as Australia.
Last year over 3,100 participants plus hundreds of volunteers and thousands of spectators took part in weekend activities. The marathon course is a Boston Marathon Qualifier – it’s expected that many people will qualify with faster times, as the course is one of Western Canada’s flatter and faster courses.
“BMO Bank of Montreal is proud to return as title sponsor of the BMO Okanagan Marathon Family Festival Weekend. This popular event has activities for the whole family to enjoy as participants and as volunteers,” said Sean Armstrong, Vice President, BC Interior, North and Yukon District. “We invite people to join in this fun-filled Thanksgiving healthy activity while we also raise funds for a great cause, Sunshine Foundation: Dreams for Kids.”
The BMO Okanagan Marathon continues to support the Sunshine Foundation: Dreams for Kids, helping make dreams come true for children living with severe physical disabilities or life-threatening illnesses. Over the years the event has raised over $275,000 for the charity who, in their 26-year history, has fulfilled dreams for 7,000 kids across Canada.
An estimated 3,500 participants will take part in the 2013 event, all staged from City Park, with an estimated 65% coming from out of town of which 31% are coming from Alberta.
Please sign up and volunteer to participate in one of the best community and recreational events in the Okanagan! Volunteers can still sign on by registering on-line: www.okanaganmarathon.volunteerhub.com.
SCHEDULE of Events 2013 BMO Okanagan Marathon
City Park - 1600 Abbott St.
- Thursday, October 10 from 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm (Sports Expo Tent at City Park)
SPORTS EXPO & PACKAGE PICKUP
- Friday, October 11 – 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, October 12 – 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
(Package Pickup for 5K on Saturday, October 12 accepted until 9:30 a.m.)
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2013
- 9:00 a.m. - Running Room Free Friendship Run
- 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. - Kids Zone (Soccer zone & face painting)
- 10:00 a.m. - 5 km Fun Run/Walk
- 12:00 - 12:45 p.m. - BMO ABC (Active Body Centres) Kids' Activities
- 12:45 p.m. - BMO ABC Kids' 1K Fun Run
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2013
- 6:15 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Gear check
- 7:15 a.m. - Marathon Run/Walk
- 7:45 a.m. - Half Marathon Run/Walk
- 8:15 a.m. - 10k Run/Walk
- 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Sports Expo and Kids Zone
The BMO Okanagan Marathon has an event for everyone - from the recreational, advanced and competitive runners to children and adults. Every registered participant will receive a BMO Okanagan Marathon Bag, along with a T-shirt and a Finisher’s Medal. The race is ideal for groups to build team spirit while also raising money for a great cause – the Sunshine Foundation’s BC Chapter: Dreams for Kids.
And spectators are encouraged to come out and cheer on all the participants at the BMO Okanagan Marathon. For more information please click here.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Holiday magic fills local theatre Dec 4
- Was there crime in your neighbourhood? Dec 4
- Transplant recipients pop in, say thanks Dec 4
- High speed crash into tree Dec 4
- Sudden death in Rutland Dec 4
- Gifts sought for children's X-mas party Dec 4
- Rotary optimistic lights will twinkle Dec 4
- Hero Mountie saves distraught woman Dec 3
- Stuart Park: 'Stay warm my friends' Dec 3
- Mission Creek trees get festive flair Dec 3