Police and Fire investigators were at the scene of a suspicious house fire for much of the morning after the residential fire was reported just before 5 a.m. Thursday.
The fire was considered suspicious for a variety of reasons which prompted a thorough scene investigation.
The residence has been on the police radar for several months when it was first brought to the RCMP’s attention as a drug “flop house” and “crack shack.”
Police have had regular calls for service from area neighbours and residents concerned about the ongoing activities occurring at this address. Police have been actively checking people coming and going from the property and noted that many were known to be active in the street drug subculture.
When attending the premise, police officers have noticed a continual decline in the conditions in and around the house.
These conditions have eroded from being a safety concern to an obvious, health and safety hazard.
After these observations were brought to the attention of the building safety inspectors at the City of Kamloops and were acted on promptly.
Following the inspection by the Municipal authorities the premise was condemned yesterday. Electrical power and water to the premise was shut off.
Among other safety issues, the police investigators observed abnormal and uncertified electrical wiring associated to a previous marijuana grow op in the house.
Along with electrical hazards, residential marijuana grow operations routinely result in the proliferation of mold, spores, chemical and fertilizer contaminants.
The investigation into the fire is still ongoing.
Send photos and video of this area to [email protected]