Leave home and be a quitter
My travels have allowed me to mingle and study with many incredibly brilliant entrepreneurs and thought leaders in our society.
Many of these leaders and entrepreneurs share some similar characteristics that have made them who they are today.
I’d like to share a few of these common characteristics with a focus towards the younger demographic of entrepreneur. I’ve had the pleasure of coaching and mentoring numerous college-age individuals, the common question being from most of them “how do I find my passion and purpose”?
That’s a big question. It’s a question that has many layers and many answers, and I certainly don’t have all the answers, however I have some answers that I, and others believe in, so in my real-speak, direct approach way of being, I’ll offer some up.
Sit back and buckle up, we’re going to break some boundaries and ignite some discomfort in many of you. Trust me it’s for the better.
1. If you have finished high school and are not attending university but still living at home – Move Out! My friends, your parents have done their job. It’s now up to you to spread your wings. Living in the comfort of the family home will not benefit you if you are a driven person. You must seize the day independent of your family, their dynamics, drama and food. It’s time to live and experiment. Don’t believe it’s hard out there, that’s a story you may have bought into, dive in, make it happen, your independence is the first step to a prosperous, fun, entrepreneurial life.
2. If your dreams or passions cannot be found in the town or city you have been living in – Move. I don’t care if it’s your home town and you have all these friends, blah, blah, blah. Get over it and get on with it. Just because you were raised in a certain area does not mean you have to live there forever. It’s your life’s duty to go where the action is for you, where you can live your passion and where your dreams can be made. Your home town is always going to be there for you to visit.
3. Don’t take things personally. When you decide to live large your way and start your adventure, many people including family and friends simply won’t support or understand you. This is not a reflection of you, it’s a reflection of them. Certain individuals will not be along for the ride with you as your journey begins, they may be reflecting sadness for not just going for it when they were younger, or may not have the mindset nor curiosity and drive that you do in the present, don’t take it personally.
4. If you don’t like something after giving it a try – Quit. I support and love quitters. There are far too many people out there hanging onto a meaningless job, a tired friendship or an unloving relationship – Quit and get over it. We live in a time of great abundance and opportunity. It’s your duty to find happiness and intrigue in all of the above, keep quitting until you find it. Let your entrepreneurial self shine in all ways.
These are just a few characteristics of driven, motivated, world-changing types of individuals. In the end you have to do what’s personally right for you. Find your passion, friends, you weren’t put here to play small. Now go and play!
Read more Ignite Innovate Impact articles
- Business survival - a checklist Oct 15
- The buying bug Oct 1
- Truth or dare Sep 24
- Ten shots of espresso Sep 17
- Why we bought our new car from you Sep 10
- The 2% mindset & business Sep 3
- The magic of MACY'S Aug 27
- Trade shows help you grow Jul 30
(Click for RSS instructions.)