Once upon a time, I woke to my alarm playing a sad song on the radio, kindly reminding me of a certain ex-Rex. The sadness that came over me (at the time) was a precursor of the rest of the day – last minute cancellations, unseasonably cold weather, spilled coffee, and more bad memories of ex-Rex (how nice!). Our sense of sound is a powerful invocation of memory, so why not use it to our advantage?
I save my preferred motivational or uplifting songs for easy access on my iPod so I can begin each day on the right note. When I listen to a song that makes me smile, sing in the shower, or dance in the kitchen, the rest of my day goes a little more serendipitously. An easy flow accompanies a lively stream of music and generates the feel good vibes we love.
Music is very personal, so choose wisely. Lyrics and beats that speak to your inner drummer raise your energy level for any task. My musical choices range from Jazz/Blues for relaxation and cooking; Classical for an inspiring accompaniment to creative pursuits, Rap/Pop for running, and Spa/New Age sounds for meditation. Yes, sometimes the meditation turns into a fabulous nap, and that feels good too!
Suggested ‘Feel Good’ tunes:
- I Got A Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas
- Beautiful Day by U2
- Happy by Pharrell Williams
- Tub Thumping by Chumbawumba
- We Are The Champions by Queen
- Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder
- Life’s What You Make It by Talk Talk
- Hey Beautiful Day by Bedouin Soundclash
- Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves
- Lust For Life by Iggy Pop
- Don’t Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin
- Celebration by Kool and The Gang
- All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Crow
- Lovely Day by Bill Withers
- Footloose by Kenny Loggins
- Song 2 by Blur
- Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz
- Get Up Stand Up by Bob Marley
- What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong
Turn off that sad, angst laden song and plug into pure energy. Discover songs that sing to your soul on YouTube, iTunes, or in any music store. You’ll be sidewalk dancing your way to good vibrations (and maybe some new friends?) in no time. On that note, watch the video below and let the carefree rhythm move you: