Les Miserables is coming to town
Nov 15, 2012 / 3:00 pm
The wait is over. The revolution begins! Kelowna Actors Studio presents Les Misérables.
The wait is finally over for the 8-time Tony Award winning musical that has thrilled audiences around the world. Kelowna Actors Studio has secured the performance rights to the most popular musical ever staged. It is a crowning achievement for KAS which is one of only a handful of professional regional theatres in the country to produce this epic and powerful musical. This exhilarating musical voyage will run October 23rd through Nov 10th, 2013.
Set in 19th century France, Jean Valjean is released from 19 years of unjust imprisonment, but finds nothing in store for him but mistrust and mistreatment. He breaks his parole in hopes of starting a new life, initiating a life-long struggle for redemption as he is relentlessly pursued by police inspector Javert, who refuses to believe Valjean can change his ways. Finally, during the Paris student uprising of 1832, Javert must confront his ideals after Valjean spares his life and saves that of the student revolutionary who has captured the heart of Valjean's adopted daughter. His world-view shattered, Javert commits suicide, and Valjean at last attains the peace he has sought for so long.
Epic, grand and uplifting, Les Miserable packs an emotional wallop that has thrilled audiences all over the world.
"I am thrilled to bring this musical theatre masterpiece to the Kelowna Actors Studio stage," said Artistic Managing Director Randy Leslie. "With direction and choreography by General Manager and Director, Nathan Flavel, audiences will experience Les Misérables as they never have before."
Les Misérables is based on Victor Hugo's classic novel about ex-convict Jean Valjean and his attempts to start a new life as he is pursued relentlessly by policeman Javert over decades through the tumult of revolutionary France. This blockbuster musical also showcases a Tony Award-winning score including the songs "I Dreamed a Dream," "Do You Hear the People Sing?," "One Day More," "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables," "A Little Fall of Rain," "Master of the House," and "On My Own."
According to Les Misérables director and choreographer Nathan Flavel, KAS's intimate space plays a key role in this production. "At Kelowna Actors Studio the audience becomes part of the production and part of the story telling. It's a very freeing experience for the actors and the audience will feel closer to the acting company of Les Misérables at KAS than they would in any other theater," said Flavel.
Les Misérables will feature Actors Studio favourite Randy Leslie in the role of Jean Valjean. Watch for audition announcement and dates to follow. Regular tickets on sale starting December 1st.
Read more Entertainment News
WEST KELOWNA MOVIES
- Kelowna Rotary Centre For The Arts
- Kelowna Sunshine Theatre
- Kelowna Community Theatre
- Kelowna Actor's Studio
- Theatre Kelowna
- Kelowna Summer Theatre Festival
- Shakespeare Kelowna Theatre
- Vernon Powerhouse Theatre
- Penticton Many Hats Theatre Company
- Armstrong Asparagus Community Theatre
- Armstrong Caravan Farm Theatre
- Kelowna Rotary Centre For The Arts
- Chamber Music Kelowna
- Okanagan Festival Singers
- Okanagan Symphony
- Okanagan Jazz & Blues Society
- Ballet Kelowna
- Vernon Jazz Society
- Summerland Singers and Players
- Festivals Kelowna
- Parks Alive!
FILM / RADIO [+]
- Sharon and Ozzy living together again
- Rehab 'too hard' for Brooke Mueller
- Crashing at Train Wreck Comedy
- Kristen Stewart's Hooters fun
- Taylor Swift: Ed Sheeran is obsessed with sword
- Jay-Z announces new album
- Channing Tatum introduces daughter
- Charlie Sheen and Selma Blair at war on Anger Management
- Gwyneth Paltrow honored in Chicago
- Jonah Hill thought he would die
- Selena Gomez to appear topless?
- Kim Kardashian welcomes baby girl
(Click for RSS instructions.)