Friday, October 31st8.1°C
21625
23778

Rolf Harris found guilty

A jury Monday found broadcaster and entertainer Rolf Harris guilty of 12 counts of indecent assault.

The 84-year-old celebrity was convicted of indecent assault on four victims aged 19 or under between 1968 and 1986.

Prosecutors said that for years he got away with brazen sexual assaults on young girls because his fame made him untouchable.

The Australian-born Harris was a prominent British broadcaster for decades and once performed with the Beatles.

Prosecutors described him as having a good and generous side offset by a dark side that allowed him to molest young girls knowing they could not object and would not be believed if they did.

He had denied the charges and during the trial at Southwark Crown Court enjoyed the support of his wife and daughter, even though he was accused of repeatedly abusing one of his daughter's friends.

Harris had told the police the relationship had been consensual, prosecutors said.

Harris had hits with the novelty songs "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sports" and "Two Little Boys." He painted an official portrait of Queen Elizabeth II to mark her 80th birthday.

He is one of several veteran entertainers to face sex charges since TV host Jimmy Savile was exposed as a serial child molester after his death in 2011.

The Canadian Press

COMMENTS WELCOME

Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.



Read more Entertainment News

22625


Recent Trending

















Member of BC Press Council


22771