Ender's Game beats Bad Grandpa
Nov 3, 2013 / 9:31 pm
Weekend moviegoers chose science-fiction over slapstick.
"Ender's Game" scored the No. 1 slot at the weekend box office, earning $28 million in its opening weekend and sending "Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa" into second place, according to studio estimates Sunday.
Lionsgate's "Ender's Game," based on the novel by Orson Scott Card, stars Asa Butterfield and Harrison Ford as intergalactic soldiers.
Comments made by Card expressing opposition to gay marriage led some to call for a boycott of the film. But a strong first-place opening met the studio's pre-weekend expectations.
However, ticket sales didn't come close to the opening weekends of other young-adult science-fiction adaptations such as "Twilight" and "The Hunger Games." It did fare better than "Beautiful Creatures" and "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones."
A representative for Lionsgate declined to be interviewed for this story.
Paramount's candid-camera comedy starring Johnny Knoxville disguised as an old man brought in another $20.5 million in its second weekend, with a domestic total reaching more than $62 million.
Other films opening this weekend didn't generate as much enthusiasm.
CBS Films' "Last Vegas," featuring an all-star cast of silver screen veterans including Michael Douglas, Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Kline, opened in third place, with $16.5 million.
Relativity Media's 3-D animated kiddie flick "Free Birds," with characters voiced by Owen Wilson, Woody Harrelson and Amy Poehler, debuted in the fourth spot, with $16.2 million.
After its fifth weekend at the box office, the Warner Bros. 3-D stunner "Gravity" is still holding in the fifth position. It banked $13.1 million over the weekend, bringing its domestic total to $220 million.
Overseas, Disney's "Thor: The Dark World" earned an impressive $109.4 million in its first international weekend. The Marvel superhero sequel opens domestically next weekend.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theatres, according to Rentrak. Where available, latest international numbers for Friday through Sunday are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.
1. "Ender's Game," $28 million.
2. "Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa," $20.5 million.
3. "Last Vegas," $16.5 million.
4. "Free Birds," $16.2 million.
5. "Gravity," $13.1 million.
6. "Captain Phillips," $8.5 million.
7. "12 Years a Slave," $4.6 million.
8. "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2," $4.2 million.
9. "Carrie," $3.4 million.
Read more Entertainment News
WEST KELOWNA MOVIES
- Kelowna Rotary Centre For The Arts
- Kelowna Sunshine Theatre
- Kelowna Community Theatre
- Kelowna Actor's Studio
- Theatre Kelowna
- Kelowna Summer Theatre Festival
- Shakespeare Kelowna Theatre
- Vernon Powerhouse Theatre
- Penticton Many Hats Theatre Company
- Armstrong Asparagus Community Theatre
- Armstrong Caravan Farm Theatre
- Kelowna Rotary Centre For The Arts
- Chamber Music Kelowna
- Okanagan Festival Singers
- Okanagan Symphony
- Okanagan Jazz & Blues Society
- Ballet Kelowna
- Vernon Jazz Society
- Summerland Singers and Players
- Festivals Kelowna
- Parks Alive!
FILM / RADIO [+]
- Lamar Odom gets three years probation for DUI
- Crashing at Train Wreck Comedy
- Kanye West: I'm risking my life on tour
- Fast and Furious 7 will be completed
- Katy Perry: Russell Brand really wanted children
- ZZ Top to play at Prospera Place
- Selena Gomez storms off stage
- Paris Hilton will make Lindsay Lohan 'pay'
- La Toya Jackson marries in LA
- Victoria Beckham plans futuristic home
- Heidi Klum gives up lingerie modeling
- James Franco getting buff
(Click for RSS instructions.)