GranFondo results in road closures
Jul 11, 2012 / 1:13 pm
A number of road closures will be in place as part of the GranFondo Kelowna mass participation cycling event being held on Saturday, July 14. The event will begin and end at Celebration Plaza at Waterfront Park on Water Street. Transit service in Glenmore will be affected until 2 p.m.
From 2 a.m. until 8 p.m. on Saturday, July 14, Water Street, from Cawston Avenue to Sunset Drive, will be closed to vehicle traffic for race set up, start and finish.
Rolling road closures will be in effect from 6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Eastbound Clement Avenue closed between Ellis Street and Spall Road (Glenmore Road) from 6:45 to 8 a.m.
- Northbound Glenmore Road closed between Clement Avenue and Cross Road from 7 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
- Northbound Glenmore Road closed between Cross Road and Okanagan Centre Road W from 7:15 to 8:15 a.m.
- Southbound Glenmore Road closed between Okanagan Centre Road W, McKinley Road from 9:45 to 1:10 p.m.
- Southbound Glenmore Road closed between McKinley Road and High Road from 10 to 1:45 p.m.
- Westbound shoulder lane closed between Clifton Road and Gordon Drive from 10 to 2 p.m.
- Westbound Clement Avenue closed from Clifton Road to Ellis Street 10 to 2 p.m.
While there will be no road closures for these routes, delays are expected from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Southbound of Valley Road N between Scenic Road and Summit Drive
- Southbound of High Road (Summit Drive) between Valley Road N and Clifton Road
- Southbound Clifton Road from High Road to Clement Road
All signals will go into flash mode for the outbound route from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m. and for the inbound route from 9:45 a.m. to 2 p.m. Motorists are asked to obey traffic control personnel at all times for the safety of the large number of cyclists expected.
Transit Service along the race route will be affected from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Glenmore Route No. 7 (inbound) will be detoured via Glenmore Road to Clement Avenue, Clement Avenue onto Gordon Drive and Gordon Drive onto Cawston Avenue.
- Transit riders are encouraged to leave extra time for travel during service interruptions.
- Delays along the entire route are also expected from 7 to 7:30 a.m. as traffic will be reduced to single lane.
Parking Lot Closure: Dolphins Parking Lot will be closed from Thursday, July 12 at 7 p.m. until Sunday, July 15 at noon.
On-street Parking: Water Street between Doyle Avenue and Ellis Street will be restricted Saturday, July 14 from 2 a.m. to 8 p.m. to accommodate the start and finish of the race. Courtesy tows, if required, will be at the parking lot on the corner of Doyle Avenue and Ellis Street.
Boat launch: Access to the Water Street Boat Launch will be restricted from 6 to 7 a.m. on Saturday, July 14 to accommodate the race start.
Read more Central Okanagan articles
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Slow weekend for forest fires May 20
- World of Wheels photo gallery May 19
- World of Wheels 2013 this Sunday May 16
- Road safety week speeders catch fines May 14
- Fire halls agree to share in emergencies May 11