Central Okanagan News
SD23 approves budget cuts
The Central Okanagan School District (SD23) has found a way to cut nearly $4M from its 2014-2015 operating budget.
The district was faced with the shortfall as a result of expenses increasing at a faster rate than the available revenue sources.
In order to produce a balanced budget as required by the Ministry of Education, the board Wednesday approved 10 recommendations presented earlier in the month by district Superintendent Hugh Gloster.
- $1.3M To be removed from the per pupil funding level to schools
- $250,000 - Technology budget
- $50,000 - Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, Directors discretionary budgets
- $50,000 - Hollywood Road/Learning Centre
- $120,000 - Operations department
- $500,000 - Resource allocations to schools
- $180,000 - Budget increases for inflation
- $400,000 - Apply ministry holdback distribution from spring of 2014 to budget
- $1.2M - Apply 50% of projected ministry holdback to budget
- $23,000 - Income generated through a 5% increase in rental fees to user groups
The $1.3M per pupil reduction means the district will cut funding to schools by about $70 per student.
"The end result is that all schools will share in the challenge to operate with less money," Gloster stated in his original report to the board.
The board must finalize its budget before the end of June.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Central Okanagan articles
- BC chief's pay, expenses: $1MBC - 8:08 pm
- Body & truck pulled from riverVernon / N. Okanagan - 3:53 pm
- Prolific offender goes campingKelowna - 12:42 pm
- Tropical Storm Bertha forms World - 9:53 pm
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library