Feb. 12, 2014 Peachland Fire
A large fire has destroyed a home in Peachland, but everyone managed to get out safely.
The fire began around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night, in the attached garage of a home on Vicary Road.
“Upon arrival we had a fully involved garage, and a parked vehicle outside was also on fire,” says Dennis Craig with the Peachland Volunteer Fire Department.
By the time crews arrived, the fire had already made its way into the attic of the house.
‘The home, more than likely, is a complete loss. The top part is severely fire damaged and then the lower level of the structure will have heavy water damage,” says Craig
“The fire is under investigation at this point in time. We have no reason to believe it was suspicious and we’re focusing on the area of the garage.”
The homeowner and both of her dogs were able to make it out safely. She is believed to have insurance.
Margaret Falke is a neighbour in the area who says she heard a boom, followed by popping sounds that she likened to fireworks going off.
"When I looked out my window I could see flames and the neighbour was banging on my door," says Falke.
"So we came up the driveway and (the home) was fully engulfed. I didn’t come too close because I was worried about explosions, but the size of the black swirl (smoke) and the size of the embers, they were like loonies."
Another neighbour who witnessed the blaze was Chris Schiebelbein.
"There were a bunch of explosions, it was kind of freaky," he says.
"We’d never seen a fire like that before close to us, so we stood and watched and made sure everyone was safe.
“Firefighters were here unbelievably fast. And the house went up fast. It went from a little flame… and the house was gone in minutes."