Pipeline crew unearths monster
Oct 3, 2013 / 11:56 am
It is a monster of a find.
Paleontologists are busy in northwestern Alberta after a pipeline crew uncovered a fossil of a dinosaur.
The fossil skeleton is of the creature's tail, and experts believe the prehistoric beast may have been up to 10 metres in size.
Paleontologist Matthew Vavrek calls the find this week near Spirit River "a significant fossil discovery."
The challenge now is to carefully recover the fossil and perhaps find other parts to help determine the type of dinosaur.
People working on the excavation include members of the Philip J. Currie and Royal Tyrell museums.
Read more Canada News
- WestJet surprises weary travellers
- New RCMP unit to fight human trafficking
- Rob Ford blames problems on police
- Reporter wants $100,000 in Furlong case
- Cop gets 45 days in jail for G20 assault
- Mother petitions over confiscated inhaler
- Viper venom may stop heart attacks
- HootSuite to help young entrepreneurs
- Cdn businessman killed says report
- Bahrain, Algeria, Iraq get new Cdn guns
- First responders honoured in Quebec
- Fans camp in -40 to score special brew