Six-year-old killed by school bus
Sep 27, 2013 / 1:00 pm
A child is dead after being struck by a school bus in the Edmonton-area community of St. Albert.
RCMP say the bus hit the six-year-old boy Friday morning while he was walking across a street with other students on his way to school.
The Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools District said the boy's family has been notified.
Alberta Education Minister Jeff Johnson offered his condolences to the child's family.
"The loss of a young life is tragic and, as a father, my heart breaks for the child's parents," Johnson said in a release.
"My prayers are with the family during this difficult time."
Officials said students who attend Ecole Marie Poburan School will be sent home with a note regarding what happened.
A support team was also at the elementary school to help students.
RCMP said there were students on the school bus when it hit the child.
The boy was in the second grade.
Read more Canada News
- Girlfriend testifies on gang murders
- Duffy is recovering after heart surgery
- Senator crashes car on Parliament Hill
- Don't compare Marion Barry to Rob Ford
- Suspended senator becomes reporter
- Town mourns 4 teens killed in crash
- Obese yet healthy a myth says study
- Ont. man arrested for murder of BC man
- Canadian man accused of espionage
- Harper sings, but he doesn't dance
- Inmate takes hostage at Edmonton jail
- Cdn torture policy irks security alliance