Police car karaoke guy runs for mayor
Sep 23, 2013 / 3:04 pm
An Alberta man who became a YouTube sensation for enthusiastically singing the song "Bohemian Rhapsody'' from the back seat of a police car is going into politics.
Robert Wilkinson is running for mayor of Edson, a town west of Edmonton.
The town says Wilkinson submitted the necessary five signatures from residents along with his nomination papers to register as a candidate.
Wilkinson was convicted of impaired driving last November, fined $1,400 and prohibited from driving for one year.
The RCMP video of him singing the Queen rock anthem went viral, amassing more than 10 million hits.
At the time Wilkinson said he received $1,000 from the American cable network TrueTV so it could air the video on its show World's Dumbest Criminals.
Read more Canada News
- Don't compare Marion Barry to Rob Ford
- Suspended senator becomes reporter
- Town mourns 4 teens killed in crash
- Obese yet healthy a myth says study
- Ont. man arrested for murder of BC man
- Canadian man accused of espionage
- Harper sings, but he doesn't dance
- Inmate takes hostage at Edmonton jail
- Cdn torture policy irks security alliance
- Animal abuse law enforcement lacking
- RCMP arrest man on spying charges
- Avoid the legal pitfalls at office parties