Coke cap campaign a real douche
Sep 19, 2013 / 12:48 pm
Coca-Cola has cancelled a Canadian promotion that paired randomly generated English and French words inside bottle caps after an Edmonton woman got one that said "You Retard."
Blake Loates says she and her husband were eating at a restaurant in Edmonton earlier this week when her husband read the cap of his bottle of Vitaminwater.
Loates says they thought at first it was a prank by a rogue employee at the bottling plant.
She says she found it particularly offensive because she has a younger sister who is developmentally delayed.
Shannon Denny with Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada says consumers were supposed to collect the caps to combine words into humorous sentences.
Denny says the problem was that the word lists for each language were approved separately and that in French, "retard" simply means late.
In addition to cancelling the campaign, the company says it will be destroying all of the bottles of Vitaminwater with words printed on the caps.
Denny says the company got another complaint from a consumer who got a cap with the word "douche" printed on it.
She explained that it's the French word for shower.
Read more Canada News
- Sun Media cutting 200 jobs
- Same sex inmates lose bid to be together
- Rob Ford - media dominator
- Storm cuts power to thousands
- Another soldier dies of apparent suicide
- Politicians pay tribute to Paul Desmarais
- Soldier told PTSD will end military career
- Judge approves $35M settlement
- Girlfriend testifies on gang murders
- Duffy is recovering after heart surgery
- Senator crashes car on Parliament Hill
- Don't compare Marion Barry to Rob Ford