Wildlife officer dies after fall through ice
Feb 22, 2013 / 6:28 am
RCMP say they are looking for the body of a Newfoundland and Labrador wildlife officer after the person plunged through the ice on Thursday while on patrol.
Sgt. Marc Coulombe says an initial rescue effort has shifted to an operation "to recover the deceased."
He says the officer was walking on ice with two other officers south of Hawke's Bay on the Northern Peninsula when the incident occurred.
He says two of the officers managed to crawl out of the ice and then attempted unsuccessfully to locate the third.
Coulombe says that RCMP and wildlife employees continued the search through the night.
Read more Canada News
- Rally calls for end to ties with monarchy
- Village mourns fishermen
- Wind turbine proposal for Juno Beach
- PM's new chief of staff
- Anarchist 'panda' leads a new fight
- Warm summer forecast for Canada
- Hidden camera nails care home workers
- Feds buying ads that don't exist
- Petition to rename Victoria Day
- Military supplies stuck in Afghanistan
- Public raising funds to buy alleged video
- Antipsychotic drug recalled in Canada