Senator faces sex assault charges
Feb 8, 2013 / 4:59 am
Sen. Patrick Brazeau appeared briefly in a Gatineau, Ont. court to face criminal charges of assault and sex assault Friday morning, after spending the night in detention following his arrest.
Court documents confirmed the criminal charges were officially being brought forward by the Crown.
Brazeau told the judge he hadn't spoken with his lawyer, and asked for more time to do so. He is expected to reappear later Friday.
The controversial 38-year-old senator wore a long black coat during his brief appearance and had his hands crossed.
Pierre Lanthier, of the Gatineau Police, confirmed Friday morning that Brazeau spent the night at the station after being arrested at his Gatineau home on Thursday.
He said Brazeau was questioned by police for about two hours on Thursday night and was co-operative.
The charges and court appearance Friday come the day after Brazeau was removed from the Conservative caucus.
Brazeau remains as a member of the Senate, but it is expected that some of his legislative privileges will be removed during his legal travails. However, he will continue to receive his salary.
Read more Canada News
- Hidden camera nails care home workers
- Feds buying ads that don't exist
- Petition to rename Victoria Day
- Military supplies stuck in Afghanistan
- Public raising funds to buy alleged video
- Antipsychotic drug recalled in Canada
- Search resumes for missing fishermen
- PM's chief of staff resigns
- Astronaut adjusting to 'earthling' life
- Elijah Harper's body will lie in state
- Spectator killed during Jeep demo
- Panda exhibit opens at Toronto Zoo