Boy seeks bail for brother's funeral
Jan 25, 2013 / 12:14 pm
A 12-year-old boy charged with killing his brother will have a bail hearing next week that will determine whether he can attend his brother's funeral.
The boy will seek bail next Tuesday, just before the planned dates of the viewing and funeral for his brother, later in the week.
The accused was expressionless during a court appearance this morning where his lawyer, Sonia Harvey, asked for psychological help for her client.
She says he's only seen a nurse since his detention earlier this week. A judge today agreed to remand him into the custody of youth protection so he can get help.
The Montreal boy was charged Tuesday with manslaughter after his 16-year-old brother was shot to death.
The identity of the accused and the victim cannot be revealed because they are minors.
A viewing and funeral are planned for Wednesday and Thursday of next week so, the defence lawyer argued, a bail hearing is urgent. The hearing date was set this afternoon, for Tuesday.
Authorities have said evidence indicates the shooting was not an accident.
The boy is also charged with illegal possession of a loaded, prohibited weapon. He faces a maximum three-year sentence on the most serious charge. He cannot be sentenced as an adult.
Police say the teenage victim was shot in the upper body with a handgun they said could have belonged to a family member.
Read more Canada News
- Montreal plot to strike at armoured cars
- Team Canada beats USA, sweeps series
- Harper, G8 propose to fight tax havens
- Feds want permanent secrecy in place
- Trudeau vows to repay charities
- Terry Fox preps Chinese for Canada
- Mystery men in Ford photo identified
- Quebec soccer scraps turban ban
- Syria moved to top of G8 agenda
- Premier: Trudeau should return $20K
- Canada-EU free-trade talks 'difficult'
- "You robbed me of my son"