Train kills Cdn student in Bangladesh
Jan 13, 2013 / 7:07 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A newspaper in Bangladesh says a Canadian student was struck and killed by a train Saturday in Dhaka.
The Daily Star reports the victim's uncle identified her as Mungerina Arabin Jerin, 22, a student at the Medical College for Women and Hospital in the suburb of Uttara.
Abu Bakar Siddique told the newspaper his niece came to the South Asian country last year while her Bangladeshi family remained in Canada.
He said Jerin was taking a walk with a friend near the Cantonment railway station when she was struck around 6:30 p.m. local time.
She was pronounced dead in hospital.
Police say they are speaking to the friend in order to find out exactly what happened.
Read more Canada News
- Mother yells as driver appears in court
- Ford to crack open scandal today
- Rally calls for end to ties with monarchy
- Village mourns fishermen
- Wind turbine proposal for Juno Beach
- PM's new chief of staff
- Anarchist 'panda' leads a new fight
- Warm summer forecast for Canada
- Hidden camera nails care home workers
- Feds buying ads that don't exist
- Petition to rename Victoria Day
- Military supplies stuck in Afghanistan