Train kills Cdn student in Bangladesh
Jan 13, 2013 / 7:07 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A newspaper in Bangladesh says a Canadian student was struck and killed by a train Saturday in Dhaka.
The Daily Star reports the victim's uncle identified her as Mungerina Arabin Jerin, 22, a student at the Medical College for Women and Hospital in the suburb of Uttara.
Abu Bakar Siddique told the newspaper his niece came to the South Asian country last year while her Bangladeshi family remained in Canada.
He said Jerin was taking a walk with a friend near the Cantonment railway station when she was struck around 6:30 p.m. local time.
She was pronounced dead in hospital.
Police say they are speaking to the friend in order to find out exactly what happened.
Read more Canada News
- WestJet surprises weary travellers
- New RCMP unit to fight human trafficking
- Rob Ford blames problems on police
- Reporter wants $100,000 in Furlong case
- Cop gets 45 days in jail for G20 assault
- Mother petitions over confiscated inhaler
- Viper venom may stop heart attacks
- HootSuite to help young entrepreneurs
- Cdn businessman killed says report
- Bahrain, Algeria, Iraq get new Cdn guns
- First responders honoured in Quebec
- Fans camp in -40 to score special brew