Don Cherry blasts aid to Haiti
Jan 7, 2013 / 1:30 pm
MONTREAL - Don Cherry is taking to Twitter to air his objections over the millions in aid money that Canada sends to Haiti.
Tweets posted today on the outspoken hockey commentator's Twitter feed questioned why Ottawa has sent tens of millions of dollars in aid to the earthquake-battered Caribbean nation.
Cherry says he doesn't mind helping other countries - but he wonders why Ottawa would send so much cash to Haiti when people are waiting for up to 10 hours in Canadian hospital waiting rooms.
The controversial star of Hockey Night in Canada was particularly blunt in one tweet: "Are we nuts?"
Cherry's remarks come days after Canada's international co-operation minister told a newspaper that his department will stop funding new aid projects in Haiti until it finds a more effective approach to help the country.
Julian Fantino told Montreal's La Presse he's disappointed about the lack of progress in post-earthquake reconstruction.
He says Ottawa will continue to fund development projects already underway in Haiti.
Cherry says he's pleased Canadians have a good guy with common sense like Fantino in charge.
The broadcaster's tweets come five days before the third anniversary of a massive quake in Haiti that killed an estimated 300,000 people and left more than 1.5 million homeless.
Read more Canada News
- Astronaut adjusting to 'earthling' life
- Elijah Harper's body will lie in state
- Spectator killed during Jeep demo
- Panda exhibit opens at Toronto Zoo
- Fishermen missing off NB coast
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford cancels show
- Family found unconscious in fire
- Saskatchewan zombies
- Sen. Pamela Wallin latest to leave caucus
- 5.1 earthquake near Ottawa
- Mom and 5-year-old killed in Calgary
- Cocaine video & Toronto's mayor