Grade 3 student rushed to hospital
Dec 14, 2012 / 12:14 pm
A Calgary-area school has suspended the use of lanyards after a tragic accident that sent a Grade 3 student to hospital with serious injuries.
Greg Bass, superintendent for Rocky View Schools, says the student was rushed to hospital Wednesday afternoon after the child's lanyard became tangled on a bathroom door at Bearspaw School northwest of the city.
Bass says another student came across the child in a bathroom and ran back to class to tell a teacher.
The teacher ran back to the washroom and then called 911.
Bass says lanyards cords that hang around the neck and to which something is attached are used in the Rocky View division on a school-by-school basis for hallway or bathroom passes as well as identification.
School officials continue to gather information about exactly what happened, but the RCMP have ruled out foul play.
Read more Canada News
- Harper sings, but he doesn't dance
- Inmate takes hostage at Edmonton jail
- Cdn torture policy irks security alliance
- Animal abuse law enforcement lacking
- RCMP arrest man on spying charges
- Avoid the legal pitfalls at office parties
- Canada to file Arctic seafloor claim
- Fish-farm's still stuck on Atlantic salmon
- Families remember deadly plane crash
- Four teens killed after crash on NB Hwy
- $50-million Lotto Max jackpot unclaimed
- Pot-smoking Mountie returns serge