Flames billow skyward in Montreal
Nov 30, 2012 / 3:17 pm
Spectacular flames and thick billowing smoke could be seen for several kilometres after a major fire erupted Friday in a Montreal building that houses oil reservoirs.
There were no immediate reports of any injuries.
Fire department spokeswoman Elife Breault said nearly 125 firefighters fought the huge blaze.
"It's a company that delivers oil and there are reservoirs and delivery trucks inside," she said in an interview.
"Our firefighters are trying to prevent the flames from reaching adjacent buildings."
Some people who live in the east-end neighbourhood were evacuated from their residences.
Read more Canada News
- Harper leaves today for South Africa
- Let kids with asthma carry puffers
- Former Harper director gets key job
- Roots led to writing for Alice Munro
- Man accused of killing three-year-old
- Harper and former PMs pay respect
- Man to stand trial after Mounties shot
- Environment Min. posts dead bear photo
- Economy adds 21,600 jobs in November
- Widow urges soldiers to 'Go get help'
- B.C. Mountie gets two years probation
- Quotes from Mandela in Canada