Two people die from fall through ice
Nov 24, 2012 / 12:15 pm
A 64-year-old Quebec man and his grandson are dead after falling through the ice while going for a skate on a lake near their home.
Quebec provincial police say the nine-year-old boy died in hospital overnight while his grandfather died a few hours earlier.
The pair went skating Friday afternoon on a private lake in Quebec's Eastern Townships and police say the thin ice broke under their weight.
Relatives in the house nearby tried in vain to save the pair.
The boy's grandmother suffered hypothermia in the rescue attempt.
Police are investigating the incident.
Read more Canada News
- Feds buying ads that don't exist
- Petition to rename Victoria Day
- Military supplies stuck in Afghanistan
- Public raising funds to buy alleged video
- Antipsychotic drug recalled in Canada
- Search resumes for missing fishermen
- PM's chief of staff resigns
- Astronaut adjusting to 'earthling' life
- Elijah Harper's body will lie in state
- Spectator killed during Jeep demo
- Panda exhibit opens at Toronto Zoo
- Fishermen missing off NB coast