London, Ontario, mayor charged
Nov 21, 2012 / 2:24 pm
RCMP have charged the mayor of London, Ont., with fraud amid allegations he misused public funds.
An RCMP news release says Joe Fontana is also charged with breach of trust by a public official and uttering forged documents.
The former federal cabinet minister was facing allegations he used more than $20,000 in federal government money to help pay for his son's wedding reception in 2005.
In a letter posted on his website Tuesday, Fontana called the allegations "serious" but said he would not let them interfere with his duties.
Fontana has previously denied the accusations.
London radio station AM980 says a news conference has been scheduled for Thursday in which the mayor is to address his political future.
(Canadian Press AM980)
Read more Canada News
- Girlfriend testifies on gang murders
- Duffy is recovering after heart surgery
- Senator crashes car on Parliament Hill
- Don't compare Marion Barry to Rob Ford
- Suspended senator becomes reporter
- Town mourns 4 teens killed in crash
- Obese yet healthy a myth says study
- Ont. man arrested for murder of BC man
- Canadian man accused of espionage
- Harper sings, but he doesn't dance
- Inmate takes hostage at Edmonton jail
- Cdn torture policy irks security alliance