London, Ontario, mayor charged
Nov 21, 2012 / 2:24 pm
RCMP have charged the mayor of London, Ont., with fraud amid allegations he misused public funds.
An RCMP news release says Joe Fontana is also charged with breach of trust by a public official and uttering forged documents.
The former federal cabinet minister was facing allegations he used more than $20,000 in federal government money to help pay for his son's wedding reception in 2005.
In a letter posted on his website Tuesday, Fontana called the allegations "serious" but said he would not let them interfere with his duties.
Fontana has previously denied the accusations.
London radio station AM980 says a news conference has been scheduled for Thursday in which the mayor is to address his political future.
(Canadian Press AM980)
Read more Canada News
- Over a million on boil-water advisory
- Chief guilty of sexual assault stays chief
- Two face murder in Bosma death
- Ford folly cracks up late night TV
- RCMP families want help
- Liberals want hearings on Harper's office
- Mother yells as driver appears in court
- Ford to crack open scandal today
- Rally calls for end to ties with monarchy
- Village mourns fishermen
- Wind turbine proposal for Juno Beach
- PM's new chief of staff