Murder charges for BBQ shootout
Nov 8, 2012 / 6:02 am
Media reports say Toronto police have laid murder charges in a deadly summer shooting at a crowded east-end block party.
Fourteen-year-old Shyanne Charles of Toronto and 23-year-old Joshua Yasay of nearby Ajax, Ont. were killed in the July 16 shootout on Danzig Street.
More than 20 others were injured in what police have called the worst mass shooting in Toronto's history.
Toronto police Chief Bill Blair is set to give an update on the investigation in a news conference this morning.
Two suspects were arrested earlier this year, one charged with reckless discharge of a firearm, the other with threatening to cause serious bodily harm before the shootout.
Investigators have since linked the rampage on Danzig Street to turf wars within one of Toronto's most notorious street gangs, the Galloway Boys.
They say the group has been linked to at least five other shootings in the past year.
Read more Canada News
- Mother yells as driver appears in court
- Ford to crack open scandal today
- Rally calls for end to ties with monarchy
- Village mourns fishermen
- Wind turbine proposal for Juno Beach
- PM's new chief of staff
- Anarchist 'panda' leads a new fight
- Warm summer forecast for Canada
- Hidden camera nails care home workers
- Feds buying ads that don't exist
- Petition to rename Victoria Day
- Military supplies stuck in Afghanistan