Murder charges for BBQ shootout
Nov 8, 2012 / 6:02 am
Media reports say Toronto police have laid murder charges in a deadly summer shooting at a crowded east-end block party.
Fourteen-year-old Shyanne Charles of Toronto and 23-year-old Joshua Yasay of nearby Ajax, Ont. were killed in the July 16 shootout on Danzig Street.
More than 20 others were injured in what police have called the worst mass shooting in Toronto's history.
Toronto police Chief Bill Blair is set to give an update on the investigation in a news conference this morning.
Two suspects were arrested earlier this year, one charged with reckless discharge of a firearm, the other with threatening to cause serious bodily harm before the shootout.
Investigators have since linked the rampage on Danzig Street to turf wars within one of Toronto's most notorious street gangs, the Galloway Boys.
They say the group has been linked to at least five other shootings in the past year.
Read more Canada News
- Blackmail scheme targets Rob Ford
- Sun Media cutting 200 jobs
- Same sex inmates lose bid to be together
- Rob Ford - media dominator
- Storm cuts power to thousands
- Another soldier dies of apparent suicide
- Politicians pay tribute to Paul Desmarais
- Soldier told PTSD will end military career
- Judge approves $35M settlement
- Girlfriend testifies on gang murders
- Duffy is recovering after heart surgery
- Senator crashes car on Parliament Hill