Protesters crash Canada's theme park
Oct 7, 2012 / 11:53 pm
Dozens of protesters crashed through the gates of an Ontario theme park on Sunday railing against its treatment of marine life.
The protesters say they managed to shut down a dolphin show at Marineland in Niagara Falls.
Niagara Region Police say extra officers were called in when a protest grew to about 800 people.
Const. Derek Watson says a group of roughly 125 people rushed the front gates of the park.
He says police were able to quickly regain control of the situation and there were no arrests.
Dylan Powell of the group Marineland Animal Defence, which organized the protest, says one trespass ticket was issued.
He says the group is dedicated to ending animal captivity and is determined to shut down Marineland for good.
Marineland closes for the season this weekend.
Marineland was not immediately available for comment, but has said in the past that its primary concern is to provide a safe and healthy environment for the animals in its care.
Read more Canada News
- Feds buying ads that don't exist
- Petition to rename Victoria Day
- Military supplies stuck in Afghanistan
- Public raising funds to buy alleged video
- Antipsychotic drug recalled in Canada
- Search resumes for missing fishermen
- PM's chief of staff resigns
- Astronaut adjusting to 'earthling' life
- Elijah Harper's body will lie in state
- Spectator killed during Jeep demo
- Panda exhibit opens at Toronto Zoo
- Fishermen missing off NB coast