Rankin Family singer dies of cancer
Sep 30, 2012 / 3:14 pm
Raylene Rankin of the internationally acclaimed Nova Scotia musical group The Rankin Family has died after losing her fight with cancer.
Marlene Palmer, The Rankin Family's tour publicist, says Rankin's sister Heather confirmed that Raylene passed away Sunday.
She was 52.
Rankin along with her four siblings, John Morris, Jimmy, Cookie and Heather, formed the group more than 20 years ago.
They are credited with taking Cape Breton Celtic music to the mainstream.
In 2000, John Morris Rankin died when his truck plunged into the icy Gulf of St. Lawrence near Margaree Harbour, N.S. He was 40.
Read more Canada News
- Harper, G8 propose to fight tax havens
- Feds want permanent secrecy in place
- Trudeau vows to repay charities
- Terry Fox preps Chinese for Canada
- Mystery men in Ford photo identified
- Quebec soccer scraps turban ban
- Syria moved to top of G8 agenda
- Premier: Trudeau should return $20K
- Canada-EU free-trade talks 'difficult'
- "You robbed me of my son"
- Former army boss to lead Space Agency
- N.S man gets 11 years for kidnapping