Cairo: Can. embassy closed for 24 hrs.
Sep 13, 2012 / 6:57 am
Canada has shut its embassy in Cairo for the day out of worries about security.
A Foreign Affairs spokeswoman says the embassy is a close neighbour of the American mission, which has been the focus of angry protests by mobs.
Canada shut down the embassy for the day out of concern for the safety of staff, she says.
All personnel are safe and accounted for.
Given that the normal Egyptian weekend is Friday-Saturday, the embassy is expected to be open for business on Sunday.
The Egyptian government has promised to protect foreign embassies in Cairo, where police have used tear gas on mobs outside the U.S. mission.
Read more Canada News
- Search resumes for missing fishermen
- PM's chief of staff resigns
- Astronaut adjusting to 'earthling' life
- Elijah Harper's body will lie in state
- Spectator killed during Jeep demo
- Panda exhibit opens at Toronto Zoo
- Fishermen missing off NB coast
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford cancels show
- Family found unconscious in fire
- Saskatchewan zombies
- Sen. Pamela Wallin latest to leave caucus
- 5.1 earthquake near Ottawa