Man dies after raft goes over waterfall
Jul 22, 2012 / 9:20 pm
A whitewater rafter has died in an accident south of Calgary.
RCMP say the 35-year-old man was rafting with four friends on the Highwood River on Sunday afternoon when their raft went over a waterfall and flipped.
The others made it to safety, but the man who died drifted downstream where swimmers saw him floating face down.
Police say they pulled him from the water but had to scramble up a steep 60-metre bank to call for help.
They say the victim was wearing a helmet and a life jacket.
Police say he was from Calgary.
Read more Canada News
- RCMP families want help
- Liberals want hearings on Harper's office
- Mother yells as driver appears in court
- Ford to crack open scandal today
- Rally calls for end to ties with monarchy
- Village mourns fishermen
- Wind turbine proposal for Juno Beach
- PM's new chief of staff
- Anarchist 'panda' leads a new fight
- Warm summer forecast for Canada
- Hidden camera nails care home workers
- Feds buying ads that don't exist