Elliot Lake mall rescue back on
Jun 25, 2012 / 7:53 pm
Officials in Elliot Lake, Ont., say they are resuming rescue efforts at a partially collapsed mall after an appeal from Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty.
The turnabout came just hours after the search efforts were called off because it was deemed to dangerous to send crews inside. They told a news conference a plan is still in the works.
McGuinty told The Canadian Press late Monday night that he asked that any other options be considered, including using heavy equipment to dismantle the building from the outside.
The premier says if a member of his family or a close friend might be inside, he would want 'no stone left unturned', and they owe it to the families and community of Elliot Lake to give it the best shot.
Officials said they detected signs of life earlier in the day, but that at least two bodies were inside the mall.
Dozens of local residents protested in front of city hall after the decision to abandon the search was announced, saying it was too soon to abandon the search.
A parking lot on the roof of the shopping centre crashed two floors down into the mall below on Saturday afternoon.
Read more Canada News
- Montreal Mayor faces 14 charges
- Canada fights online child sex abuse
- Montreal Mayor arrested at his home
- Montreal plot to strike at armoured cars
- Team Canada beats USA, sweeps series
- Harper, G8 propose to fight tax havens
- Feds want permanent secrecy in place
- Trudeau vows to repay charities
- Terry Fox preps Chinese for Canada
- Mystery men in Ford photo identified
- Quebec soccer scraps turban ban
- Syria moved to top of G8 agenda