Toronto Zoo loses accreditation
Apr 18, 2012 / 9:37 am
The Toronto Zoo has been denied accreditation by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
The zoo is still able to operate but has lost the approval of the association, a group of experts in animal management and care.
The group evaluates each zoo on a series of standards, including veterinary care, education programs, safety and governance.
One of its main concerns was the Toronto Zoo's decision to ship three elephants to a sanctuary in the United States.
The zoo will be able to reapply for accreditation next year.
This is the first time it has been denied accreditation in more than three decades.
Read more Canada News
- Clark wins war but not her own battle
- Missing man's remains found
- Beach trip for bus beheader
- Ferry officer guilty of criminal negligence
- Female dies after high school rugby play
- 200 flee foothills fires in Alberta
- Hadfield: Social media's Space Oddity
- Evacuation orders from Alberta wildfires
- Mother's heart broken on Mother's Day
- Bodychecking banned in Nova Scotia
- Captain Canada packs his bags
- Looking for illegal downloaders