Toronto Zoo loses accreditation
Apr 18, 2012 / 9:37 am
The Toronto Zoo has been denied accreditation by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
The zoo is still able to operate but has lost the approval of the association, a group of experts in animal management and care.
The group evaluates each zoo on a series of standards, including veterinary care, education programs, safety and governance.
One of its main concerns was the Toronto Zoo's decision to ship three elephants to a sanctuary in the United States.
The zoo will be able to reapply for accreditation next year.
This is the first time it has been denied accreditation in more than three decades.
Read more Canada News
- We've lost a great moral leader: Harper
- Harper weighs in on solider suicides
- 'Outright lie,' says Rob Ford
- Blackmail scheme targets Rob Ford
- Sun Media cutting 200 jobs
- Same sex inmates lose bid to be together
- Rob Ford - media dominator
- Storm cuts power to thousands
- Another soldier dies of apparent suicide
- Politicians pay tribute to Paul Desmarais
- Soldier told PTSD will end military career
- Judge approves $35M settlement