56811
56555

Canada  

Wiring fault in deadly fire

An investigation into a Halifax-area blaze that took the life of an 11-year-old girl, an 18-year-old man and a 58-year-old man suggests it was the result of an electrical fault that started in the basement of a duplex, says the city's fire chief.

Ken Stuebing extended condolences to the family Monday, and said he hopes the incident prompts citizens to install more smoke alarms in their home.

"At this time, I want to urge those listening or watching at home to make sure you have working smoke alarms on every floor of your homes. There was one working smoke alarm in this home, but it's our belief if there had been more than one working smoke alarm, the outcome might have been different," he said in a news release.

The RCMP has not confirmed the identities of the three people who died, but a friend has identified the male victim as Marven Hart, the girl as his granddaughter Carys Barnes and the 18-year-old son as Trent Hart.

Hart's wife, Pat, was treated in hospital.

The couple's son, Trent, 18, was initially taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries following the fire in the suburb of Lower Sackville early Saturday.

An RCMP spokesman said late Monday night that the 18-year-old had died in hospital during the afternoon.

Stuebing described the deaths and injuries as an "absolute tragedy," and said it is a reminder for homeowners to look around their homes and consider if they have working smoke alarms on every floor.



More Canada News

Canada
57185
Parliament Hill
Parliament Hill Webcam
57111
Recent Trending
52098
Okanagan Oldies
54539
Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
52359



55222
56350