Schools in Moncton are reopening today after being closed last week following the shooting deaths of three Mounties and a 30-hour manhunt that put much of the city under a virtual siege.
Constables Dave Ross, Fabrice Gevaudan and Douglas Larche were gunned down after responding to a report of a man with firearms in a residential neighbourhood of Moncton on Wednesday.
Gregg Ingersoll, the superintendent for the Anglophone East School Board, says all schools in the city will receive counselling and support.
He says nine facilities that were in the lockdown area or with a personal connection to the officers will receive additional access to guidance counsellors, psychologists and social workers.
The school official said children in city's north end spent days inside as the hunt for the shooter was underway, and many also observed the worry their parents were experiencing and heard frantic phone calls being made to friends and neighbours.
"Thursday was a very eerie feeling here in this city ... whether you were directly involved or knew somebody impacted, everyone here was feeling this," he said.
"It's going to take us a little while to get back to that sense that everything is going to be OK."
Plans are also underway for a regimental funeral service for the three officers Tuesday at the Moncton Coliseum.
Police officers from across the country are expected to attend, along with the prime minister and the governor general.
Justin Bourque, 24, is facing three charges of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.
He was arrested shortly after midnight Friday, and after a brief court appearance on Friday his case was adjourned until July 3.