Shaw cuts 400 employees
After receiving a handful of tips on Monday about massive layoffs affecting hundreds of employees, we were anonymously sent the following letter which appears to be written by Bradley Shaw, CEO of Shaw Communications.
"April 14, 2014
To: All Shaw Employees
From: Brad Shaw
A year ago, we began a step by step process that started with a challenge to our management team to begin an enterprise wide transition from being the leading cable services provider to the leading network and content experience company. Our work was guided by our core belief that Shaw needed to be strong and relevant in a world where the Internet was empowering customers and viewers with unprecedented choice and control, and it was guided by your feedback that we need to be focused and clear on the direction of the business.
Today, we have made some difficult, but necessary, organizational changes that will further strengthen our company, enabling us to become more agile and engaged with the customer and viewer at the centre. These include:
- New Business Units: The operation of our residential cable, satellite, Internet and home phone services will be consolidated into a new Consumer business unit. We have also consolidated our regions into 4 key Enterprise services – including cable, telephony, satellite, and tracking – will be integrated into a new Business unit.
- Technology and Network Operations (TNO): We have combined engineering and IT functions into a single Technology and Network Operations (TNO) team.
- Effective Leadership: We have undertaken an extensive review of our leadership structure and made changes to ensure the organization is streamlined and there are clear accountabilities, understanding of roles and alignment of titles at all levels of leaders within the organization.
- Duplicate Activities: We have reviewed all areas were we have duplicate activities and organized them under the appropriate team and in the best location to support our customers and viewers.
In addition to the above changes, we will also be investing in specific areas, including procurement, supply chain, segmentation, pricing, network architecture, and next generation products. To support the new structure, we will be posting upwards of a hundred new positions within the next week.
Change isn’t always easy, but it is necessary in order for us to lead. The roles and structure we established years ago to support us as a cable company, can no longer support our growth as a network and content experience company. And while a number of employees will have new roles at Shaw, approximately 400 positions have been eliminated. We deeply respect and value the contributions of our people at Shaw, and we did not make these decisions lightly. For those colleagues who are leaving us, we want to thank them for their extraordinary contribution to Shaw.
For more than 40 years, we have leveraged technology to provide more choice and more options to meet the evolving wants and needs of our customers. We can’t stand still. Today, we begin the next chapter of our story, driven by the strength of a powerful network and a successful media business.
We are leaders in an industry that constantly demands evolution, and the changes we’re making in our company will allow us to give our viewers and customers more of what they love. Not just now, but well into the future. We’re becoming the kind of company we need to be.
Phone calls made to the media relations department at Shaw's head office were not returned.
Were you laid off? Send your story to [email protected]
Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Canada News
- Teachers disheartenedKelowna
- Dogs attacked with weaponKelowna
- Dog handler recounts chaseWest Kelowna
- Man hospitalized after assaultKelowna