Soldier sex assault
An Ontario-based Canadian Forces soldier is facing sexual-assault charges after an investigation that began late last year.
Master Cpl. Malcolm McCarty was charged Wednesday with two counts of sexual assault in connection with a complaint filed in December.
A spokesman for the Provost Marshall's office says the alleged incidents took place at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, where the 28-year-old McCarty is a member of the Royal Canadian Dragoons.
While the charges fall under the Criminal Code, McCarty will face trial in a military court.
It's not yet known where or when the case will go to court.
In the meantime, investigators were silent on details of the accusations, and the age and identity of the alleged victim hasn't been released.
If convicted, McCarty could also face a court martial, said Canadian Forces Public Affairs Officer Yves Desbiens.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Canada News
- Parents scrambling for daycare BC - 2:16 pm
- Fire destroys houseVernon / N. Okanagan - 3:05 pm
- Negotiation or legislation?Poll - 2:08 pm
- Quad crash hospitalizes oneKelowna - 1:04 pm